Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Biggie Smalls said it best...Going Back to Cali for Havaianas and...

Welcome to our Havaianas Flip Flops blog. We update this blog daily with news and information about the wonderful Havaianas flip flops. Be sure to check out our Havaianas Flip Flops Page HERE which has photos, videoes and information about the famous Havaianas.
Here's the latest news on Havaianas from Bing;


I don't really get homesick.  I miss family sometimes, but I wouldn't consider it homesickness.  But now that the holidays are coming up, I'm starting to think about all the things I need (want) to do while in California that I can't do here.  Like get a customized pair of Havaianas flip flops in Huntington Beach, home of the first U.S. store for the Brazilian maker of oh-so-cute but overpriced flip-flops.  Other stuff I want to indulge in while back home:
1.  Lots of cheap Asian food
I spent $4 on a banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) at Pho 79 on Jefferson.  During my last trip to Lynnhaven mall, I was super excited to find a boba shop (Jelly Ball) but refused to pay the $4 per cup.  In California, I get $1 bobas from Lollicup and $2.50 banh mi (always buy 2 get 1 free!) from Banh Mi & Che Cali in Orange County.  I could eat this combo all day, every day.
2.  Lots of cheap Mexican food
I can't find good Mexican food out here.  I've tried Plaza Azteca, El Azteca, El Rey, El Rancho, Guadalajara, 3 Amigos, and Abuelo's...I'm losing hope.  So when I'm home, I fill up on gigantic full-fat burritos.  All meat- no fillers like beans and rice like Chipotle.  Also, chips and salsa and NO (nasty Virginian) white sauce!
3.  Lots of cheap produce
I was at Fresh Market the other day and paid over $5 for 3 oranges.  The lady in front of me?  $9 for one bag of grapes.  I look forward to shopping at the large Mexican supermarkets where apples are $.33/lb and bananas are $.25/lb. If it wasn't for all the darn luggage fees, I'd haul a suitcase full of produce back to Hampton
4.  In-N-Out
I first had Five Guys while interning in Charlottesville and thought I was in fast-food heaven.  But I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns because I like the place less and less every time I eat there.  I love the unlimited free toppings (I always get BBQ sauce, A1, lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, jalapenos, and pickles), but the prices are too high and I don't like how my smallest option for fries is enough to feed a family of four.  In-N-Out is way cheaper and has animal-style burgers.  'Nuff said.
5.  Shopping "experiences"
Macarthur Center, Lynnhaven...eh.  City Center at Oyster Point...ugh.  Peninsula Town Center...slightly better, but I hate paying the additional "community development" tax.  One of my college professors once compared the Grove in Los Angeles to Disneyland.  Super-luxurious South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa has Asian tourist groups that plan their visits around the mall. 
6.  Pretty people
Yes, there are pretty people everywhere.  But when you have a mecca of aspiring models and actors/actresses (El Lay), I think it's safe to assume that people there look better.  For example, here in Virginia, I consider myself a 7.  In California, a 5.  One time I was at a tourist shop at Union Station in Washington DC and a guy commented that I get extra points for hotness just because I'm from California.  Hey, I'll take what I can get.
There's more to California than just good food, good shopping, and good-looking people.  We also have tofu ninjas!
 
You don't see many of those here in the VA...
View the original article here
We hope you enjoyed this news about Havaianas Flip Flops. To check out all the styles and learn about the Havaianas story, have a look at our Havaianas Flip Flops Page and be sure to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think. Post a Comment.